Vulnerability Can Be Scary, But It Can Also Bring Your Greatest Joy

This is a very interesting topic which funnily enough keeps coming up for me. I spent 20 years of my life ensuring I didn’t show my vulnerability. I was extremely uncomfortable sharing my emotions or letting anyone get too close to me. In my eyes I actually had good reason to be as I had experienced a great deal of loss as a child. I now know that I thought, “Well if I don’t get close to people then there is no chance of the people I love leaving me or dying”. Unfortunately that meant I was very closed, very introverted and unhappy and used food and excessive exercise to control my emotions instead.

Although it can hurt to be vulnerable, ultimately it can lead to love, joy and belonging as well. So if we don’t allow ourselves to show our vulnerability unfortunately we are closing ourselves off to the possibility of the actual joy of life.

It takes courage to open ourselves up and trust our feelings and beliefs with someone else. We fear we will be ridiculed or put down or rejected, however often this is only our perception. We are all worthy of love and joy however for some of us, experiences we have had in the past often lead to us believing that we aren’t. Why would you wear your heart on your sleeve when every time you do it ends in tears?

Funnily enough it is those tears that free us. Giving into the emotion, asking for help and giving to others ensures we feel fulfilled and have a purpose which ultimately brings happiness and joy.

Through my work I know that many people over eat instead of showing their vulnerability. Food is an easy escape, we don’t have to risk anything to eat. However it always ends in guilt, blame and shame which leads to more bingeing and on the cycle goes.

The wonderful thing about eating “naturally” is that it enables you be mindful. So as you’re about to inhale the bag of chips or family block of chocolate if you stop and ask yourself, “What is going on,?” you might find it relates to some sort of emotion that no amount of chocolate will fix.

When I was recovering from depression I was encouraged to sing. This enabled me to get the emotion out of my body instead of keeping it in with food. Trust me I will not be auditioning for X Factor anytime soon but it was so freeing. Since then I now cry if I need to or yell or even try to talk about what is going on for me. We don’t have to face these things on our own. We all have our own insecurities but it’s not weak to show them or express them. It enables you to be authentic and real and live in the now and not the past, creating a positive joyful future.

I am a wife and mother who has recovered from 20 years of food and weight related issues. I used to binge on food uncontrollably and then exercise excessively to get rid of it. After being diagnosed with depression and bulimia in 1996 I was introduced to Natural Eating and personal development.

Carbon Monoxide, The Silent Killer

Carbon monoxide is a very dangerous gas that has claimed the lives of many yet the public remains unaware of this serial killer. This is so due to the incognito properties of this horrific gas such as being; tasteless, colorless, and odorless yet very poisonous. It is therefore one of the people’s least suspicion for the possible cause of the mysterious deaths that usually happen. This has therefore rendered most of the people defenseless against it hence its continued silent killings.

Carbon monoxide is formed as a result of incomplete combustion of organic fossil fuels such as charcoal, coal, gas and oil due to limited oxygen. However if there is enough oxygen during the combustion, carbon dioxide will be produced instead.

According to, Aristotle showed more evidence about the toxicity of this gas when he mentioned that in the ancient times, the criminals were executed by shutting them in a bathing room with smoldering coals although the mechanism of death was not yet known by then.

Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when one breathes in carbon dioxide gas. When it gets into the blood stream, it prevents the red blood cells from carrying oxygen thereby depriving the heart, brain and vital organs of oxygen hence leading to the death of cells, tissues and the whole organism at last. If someone survives, there are high chances of sustaining a brain damage.

Some of the causes for carbon monoxide poisoning are as follows; poor ventilation of the room, use of faulty or damaged heating appliances, use of charcoal stoves in an enclosed room for cooking and heating purposes, use of engines such as generators inside an enclosed room among others.

In case of any suspicion for carbon monoxide poisoning in one’s house, the following symptoms can be used to confirm this gas’ poisoning; headache, dizziness, nausea, collapse, loss of consciousness, muscular weakness, breathlessness, sickness, diarrhea or stomach pains and general lethargy among others.

If all or most of the above symptoms are found to be present, one should consider taking into action the following treatment measures;

First of all, open the doors and windows to allow fresh air into the room. Afterwards, seek medical attention immediately. Ensure a house inspection from by a registered professional to prevent any further accidental poisoning by carbon monoxide.

Every one of us whether young or old is at risk of being poisoned by this gas therefore safety precautions should be taken;

One should ensure that the room in which he or she is cooking from is properly ventilated. This will enable enough oxygen to circulate in the room for complete combustion of the fuel.

One should ensure that the appliances they are using are in normal condition before using them. This will help to prevent any possible gas poisoning.

One should use appliances only for the purpose for which they were designed for. For example, one should not use a charcoal stove for heating up a room because in the due course, the burning charcoal will use up most of the oxygen in the room thereby giving off carbon monoxide which will poison everyone inside the room.

Ensure that there is no interference with any air vents around the room. This will help the air to circulate freely around the room.

An audio carbon monoxide alarm that can produce sound even when someone is asleep should be installed to prevent instances of carbon monoxide poisoning when someone is dead asleep.

Ensure that all the family members in the house are fully aware of the dangers and causes of carbon monoxide poisoning.

A joint effort to fight the poisoning of this silent killer gas is needed. This can be done by promoting the awareness of this poisonous gas to everyone we know. By doing so we shall be able to mitigate the rate of deaths caused by this horrific gas. Remember, to be forewarned is to be forearmed.